Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hungry Caterpillar pin (with tutorial)

I love pins and brooches! Here's one I just made, plus instructions on how to make one yourself! :)



Instructions:
1. You'll need some POM-POMs - about 6 GREEN and ONE RED. I chose to use the length of the BROOCH BACKING backing so as to simplify the process. It fits about 6 green poms for the body. Any shorter and the body might not look crawly, if too long, it starts to look like a string, unless you make some curves into it. You'll also need a short length of BROWN YARN for the feelers, and some CARD or PLASTIC for the eyes. I found a shiny SEQUIN laying around, so I trimmed it into the eyes. It worked out quite nicely cos it's a little reflective. I let the eye shapes be odd shaped as I thought it made the caterpillar look cute.  Also since it was so small, it was really tough to get the shape round!

TOOLS: Hot glue gun, white glue, scissors (for the eyes and feelers) and a permanent black or brown marker pen.

2. Get a dab of glue on one end of the brooch, and place the yarn in a U or V shape.
3. Another dab of glue for the head.
4. Add dabs of glue and add one green pom-pom at a time. Arrange them in a slight curve.
5. When done with the body, let it cool for a little while. Add white glue to the feelers and dab the positions for the eyes. I added glue to the feelers because I wanted to prevent fraying of the ends, and also to add some stiffness to the feelers.
6. Stick on the eyes.
7. Draw in the eyes. It's better to wait till the glue has dried.

Ta-da! There you go, your very own hungry caterpillar brooch! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment